Take that exit now!
There are many similarities between learning to driving a car and becoming and entrepreneur.
Getting behind the wheel and learning how to start a new company can both be options to provide a ticket to ultimate freedom!
Here is our line-up of why entrepreneurship is like driving a car:
- It takes a while to learn, but once you get the hang of it, you can apply your skills to other cars. Similarly in starting a company, once you know the basics about what works, subsequent ventures are much easier to tackle!
- You have to learn all the signs and signals really well, and know how to act upon them in real-time. 360 degree awareness is really important for both driving and entrepreneurship.
- You have to have a map or a plan or a GPS. If you don't know where you are going, you'll probably never reach. Don't be afraid to make a u-turn.
- Keep refueling as necessary. This is a necessity because you don't want to stall in the middle of nowhere.
- You're responsible for those coming along on the ride. You better make sure that everyone on board with you knows about the length of the trip, the bumps along the way, and the pitstops. The more drivers you can share the responsibility with, the easier the ride is going to be.
- Distractions are lethal. 'Nuff said.
- Periodically check to see all systems are up to date. You have get a tune-up every now and then to ensure you don't get rusty.
- You should change gears based on the terrain. Your driving and working styles should adjust accordingly.
- Accelerate to keep up with the cars around you. You have to constantly assess your surroundings to see if you are falling behind. You may need to brake for roadblocks and speed bumps.
- It's inevitable to compare yourself to the guy driving next to you: for example, the speed, and the type of car. Ignore, and keep on driving!
- Be prepared for traffic jams as they can mess up your whole day.
The good news is you don't need a license to drive on startup street. So rev up your engines, check your mirrors, and GO! Don't forget to stick your head out of the window to feel the cool breeze once in a while.
Let us know if you agree - is learning to start a company like learning to drive a car? Did we miss any analogies? Let us know in the comments below.
Want this comic on a T-shirt. Check it out here.
Enjoyed this comic? You'll also love this one.